The Amazon Redshift team is looking for you – a database engineer with a passion to support our customers moving their workloads into the cloud. Based on our data warehouse and data lake technologies, you will define and deliver next-generation database and analytics services.
Their cloud data warehouse Amazon Redshift manages all the work needed to set up, operate, and scale a data warehouse, from provisioning capacity and installing software to monitoring and backing up the cluster, to applying patches and upgrades. With Redshift Spectrum, our customers can easily query data from Amazon S3, thereby scaling their warehouse out to Exabytes and allowing them to integrate data in all kinds of file formats from their data lake into their analytics.
They expect you to bring relevant technical software expertise to bear. You are customer success obsessed and you have the ability to convert your experiences into visionary ground-breaking product enhancements. Finally, you should have the desire to have an industry-wide impact and ability to work within a fast-moving, startup environment in a large company to rapidly deliver services that have a broad business impact.
Joining the Amazon Redshift Spectrum team gives you the opportunity to:
- Work on the latest technology, as we constantly build the latest research concepts into Redshift
- Be part of something big, as you are working on a key pillar of AWS’s extensive service portfolio and thousands of Amazon Redshift customers benefit from your contributions
- Learn from the best, as you are working on challenging engineering tasks in a team of very experienced experts and managers that are close by to support you
- Be part of a great team, as they invest a lot to create an inclusive environment that allows you to perform at your best, while maintaining a fun atmosphere
- Amazon is looking for database engineers that are passionate about relational databases and love to work with customers to help them with database design, usage and troubleshooting. They expect candidates to be able to
- Demonstrate knowledge of database systems internals including storage layouts and distributed databases / MPP architectures
- Dive deep into database technologies to support the development team in building a product that is scalable, easy to use and addresses customer needs
- Apply practical knowledge of relational database design and usage with customers
- Utilize knowledge of database front end BI tools to understand customer issues/requirements
- Leverage good coding/scripting skills (e.g. Python) to automate tasks and improve Redshift
- Perform workload analysis and undertake performance tuning, as well as performance benchmarking in customer environments
- Conduct POC’s with customers in competitive situations
This position of Database Engineer for Amazon Redshift represents an exceptional opportunity to shape the technology and future of a rapidly evolving industry and business.
- Health: Medical plan options give you the flexibility to select the right health care coverage for you and eligible family members.
- Financial Security
- Amazon’s 401(k) plan provides you an opportunity to defer compensation for your long-term savings and includes a company match. The plan offers a variety of investment options to help you reach your financial goals.
- Company-paid basic Life and Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance with the option to enrol in additional coverage for you and your dependents.
- Company-paid Short-Term and Long-Term Disability.
- At Amazon, most employees have the ability to become owners of the company through the granting and vesting of Restricted Stock Units. Amazon is continually evaluating new ways to provide other types of ownership opportunities for all employees.
- A network of Support: Amazon cares about your health and well-being, both on and off the job. The following benefits are available at no cost to help make life a little bit easier.
- Amazon’s free Employee Assistance Program provides confidential 24/7 support, resources and referrals for every aspect of work and personal life.
- Offer online resources for parents whose children struggle with developmental disabilities, as well as help finding child and elder care referrals and assistance.
- Employees have access to financial counselling, estate planning and other services in the event of a life-threatening illness or death.
- Adoption Assistance: Amazon offers adoption assistance for qualified domestic and international adoption expenses including attorney fees, court costs, and travel.
- Maternity and Parental Leave
- Time Off: Regular time away from work is essential for employees to recharge and renew. Employees earn paid time off in addition to company paid holidays.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in Computer Science or Engineering
- 3 or more years of experience working on large scale systems and data warehouses
- Excellent working knowledge of UNIX/Linux
- Experience in troubleshooting application, database and system performance
- Ability to automate tasks by building/extending tools as needed, using Python and other languages
- Ability to perform database performance benchmarking, conduct analysis and root cause analysis
- Ability to tune databases based on explain plans overall system behavior
- Possess excellent communication skills and experience working with external customers (both technical and non-technical audiences)
- Proven ability to drive tasks to completion, work independently and take on full ownership of projects
- Ability to work in a fast-paced and agile development environment
- PhD in Computer Science or Engineering
- Work experience delivering one or more version one products, ideally in a startup setting in the cloud
- Experience delivering and operating large-scale, highly available distributed systems, especially Redshift or Teradata
- Experience with database internals especially query optimization, and query execution
- Ability to develop C++ code and build working prototypes to improve performance
Eligible Regions: Open for all