The African Union (AU), through the African Governance Architecture (AGA) Secretariat, in a joint project with the Common market for Eastern and Southern Africa (COMESA) have launched the “Democracy and Governance in Africa – Youth Innovation Challenge”. Youth innovators, innovation hubs and incubation centres across the continent, are invited to participate in the innovation challenge. The challenge calls for existing innovations that are making impact in the structural prevention of conflict through addressing issues of democracy deficit, lack of good governance and contribute to the promotion and protection of human rights.
The 20 applicants will receive an opportunity for an accelerator training to help develop their ideas further, for expansion and greater impact. Experienced trainers and experts will be supporting the ideas to refine, improve and transform them into initiatives that will be magnified, replicated or scaled up.
African innovators, innovation hubs/labs and organizations with a non-profit or for-profit background can apply based on the following selection criteria;
- The innovation should focus on Youth or innovation should be led by young person aged between 18-35;
- Innovators, Innovations, innovation hubs should be based in Africa; African diaspora are open to apply but innovation in focus should be focused or based in Africa;
The submission should be based on an existing innovation (digital or non-digital) on or contributing to the following thematic areas;
- Enhancing good governance;
- Promoting democracy;
- Citizen participation;
- Creating social cohesion;
- Supporting public service;
- Justice and rule of law;
- Promoting and protection of human rights; and
- Other relevant thematic areas that contribute to the AU theme of the year – Silencing the Guns.
- The idea or innovation should have been implemented/tested with a level of success/ impact but have room for improvement, replication or scale up at national, regional or continental level;
- Innovation must reflect the mainstreaming of women and gender equality;
- Female innovators are highly encouraged to apply.
DEADLINE: July 28 2020
To apply and for more information visit here